Wednesday, March 01, 2006

We installed a beer tap in our kitchen! Oh, and...


Yep.

In two weeks, I'll start as a copy writer at the Luckie advertising agency here in Birmingham. I just got off the phone with one of the chief executives, and they've made a pretty great offer. The pay is equivalent to what I was making in journalism, except that the low cost of living here means it's almost like making tens of thousands of more dollars than in California.

I'm excited, but of course I have some mixed feelings and trepidation. Many of my friends in journalism will likely see this as some sort of defeat. All I can say is that I spent the better part of the past year applying to newspapers and magazines, and I was overwhelmingly ignored. Journalism and I have shifted from hugging friends to handshake friends.

With Luckie, it was nice for an employer to be interested in me not because I had done the job before, but because I was the kind of smart and creative person who wouldn't be afraid to try new things. They seemed to take a strong interest in my potential, not just my track record.

So what will I actually be doing? Hard to say for now. I'll be writing a variety of text for advertising. They'd like to take advantage of my background by having me tackle some "long-form" copy, but there will obviously be a steep learning curve as I try to figure out an entire industry.

How will I look back at this decision in a year? I've been asking myself those kinds of questions since deciding to move back from California. I'm tired of those questions. I've made the best decisions available to me, and now only time will tell how it shapes my life.

Plus, I have some celebrating to do. Good thing that beer tap's in the kitchen...

3 comments:

Christian said...

Congratulations!

Prepare for some culture shock going from the cafe into an office. When I went from the game store back to a programming job, the change affected me a lot more than I'd expected.

Come to think of it, dammit, I miss the game store!

vo0do0chile said...

congrats david. sounds like fun.
So here's a fun question... how the hell do you find an employer that actually works for you? I.E. doesn't hire you to fit a mold. I realize this probably isn't as rampant in journalism and advertising as it is in social services, but i think all fields have some jobs where that's a problem

Griner said...

Thanks, guys. I'm pretty stoked. I'll be posting more on my second impressions (I got to see more of the place today), but I'm getting more excited each day. I think this will be a cool fit.