Sunday, February 19, 2006

My borrowed life

Buying a car felt good. Really good. But for a little while, I couldn't quite figure out why.

Then it occurred to me; this is one of the major steps toward leaving this phase of "borrowed life." Since moving out here from California, Karen and I have largely been floating on the generosity of my family. It's been great, and don't think for a second that I don't appreciate all they've done, but it's also been a constant tug on my pride.

Now, Karen has a good job, and it sounds like I'm at least getting some good opportunities. Plus, the consulting gig is becoming a reality, and it's working out better than I could have expected.

Getting my own car again, and being able to return my dad's truck, was a big step for me toward feeling like we're re-establishing our lives.

Of course, the big remaining goal is to get our own place. But I've got major mixed feelings on that point. On the one hand, I can't wait to buy a house and stop being a burden on my sister and her husband. On the other hand, we've all had a great time living together, and it will be a sad day when we move -- even if it's just a few miles away. Anyway, it's doubtful that we'll have the ability to move out in the coming weeks. For now, we'll just keep enjoying the party mansion lifestyle to which we've become accustomed.

No comments: