Friday, February 24, 2006

My wife has a picture with him, too

Whenever I doubt someone's ability to stay creatively viable throughout a lifetime of writing, I always find hope in my man Roger Ebert. Sure, he's been amazingly wrong before, but I would still argue that he's one of the greatest minds in mass media today. And for those of you who know me, I should probably note that I'm not being sarcastic.

What inspired me to point this out today is this intro line from his new review of "Night Watch," a Russian film being lauded by some as a gripping portrayal of the battle between good and evil:

I confess to a flagging interest in the struggle between the forces of Light and Darkness. It's like Super Sunday in a sport I do not follow, like tetherball.

But just in case you need a reminder of the low points of mass media (I know, who does?), well, here you go.

No comments: