Friday, February 03, 2006

Ready to get my consult on



The next few days look to be pretty hectic as I head out to Kankakee, Ill., for my first real consulting gig. I'm excited, but I feel a little under-prepared. Luckily, I'm sure I'll have lots of time there to catch up with any kinds of handouts or presentations I want to do.

In case you're curious (as I was) about what I'll really be doing there, here's an excerpt from an e-mail Rich sent to the staff:

As you know, David will be visiting Monday-Friday of
next week, and I hear some people are signing up to
talk with him already, which will be a good start.
Denise asked what reporters (and editors) should
expect:

For reporters, come with questions about anything:
What does this targeted enterprise mean? How do you go
about doing it? How can I find time for it? Tell him
about or show him a story you’re working on and ask
his take on it. Or tell him about things that
frustrate you about the system or process currently in
place – maybe there is a way to improve it. In short, feel free to pick his brain, maybe even take him to
lunch (it’s on SNG)

For editors, same thing – ask him about processes,
working with reporters farther in advance of deadline,
creating a news budget that you can depend on. Offer
specific examples of stories or coaching issues. At
meetings, bring him into the discussion about your
daily and advance budget.

So there you go. My biggest concern is in striking a balance of being helpful but not overly intrusive. But I'm sure the staff has been softened to the idea of a consultant (Rich) coming in to help, and I'm hoping they're generally on board now. If nothing else, I might be able to offer the same advice from a different perspective. Rich is a highly experienced veteran journalist, which can work for and against you. It might help the staff to hear the perspective of someone who's only been in journalism for 10 years and is excited about its future. (Even if I'm not necessarily excited about the people leading said industry into said future.)

I'll obviously be blogging a bit while I'm there, and I hope to set up a more professional blog on the Media Foresight page. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: