Thursday, October 19, 2006

A fence update, with some sentimental appreciation buried beneath.

Well, we finally have our long-awaited fence. It was the major investment we had planned for the house (aside from painting it, which likely will happen in the spring).

I keep meaning to download some photos to show the difference. I'll definitely need before-and-after shots so you can all appreciate the vegetation genocide we had to commit to make the wood fence possible.

The Griner family reunion was an interesting adventure. More than anything, it gave me a lot of time to chat with my parents. Most times when I see them, there are 20 other people fluttering around the house, and it's an incredible feat to talk to anyone for more than five minutes.

In terms of distant relatives, I can't say I got to know many very well. There were quite a few I met and wished I had known earlier. Most of my direct line was absent due to infighting or illness.

As it always does, the trip to my dad's homeland left me even more impressed with him. He truly is one of the family's best success stories in a lot of ways, and (at the risk of sounding cheesy) I was proud to tell people whose son I was. My mom is the undisputed matriarch of my entire social circle, but I really think it was my dad who inspired me to seek adventure away from home after high school but still stay close to my family.

I've never really told him how much I appreciate it, so I might as well use this snark-fueled international medium to do so, right?

Thanks, dad.

3 comments:

Griner said...

We'll be painting it. Since it's a single-level and easy to access all the way around, it would be a waste to pay somebody. If there were big ladders and slopes involved, I would risk someone else's neck.

Griner said...

I'll put on a straw hat and tell everyone how dang-burn fun it is paintin this here old house.

Greg said...

Aw, I thought I was gonna be the first to come on and make a whitewashin' joke. Half an hour late.