Friday, December 14, 2007

My Christmas wish for my Web browser.


There's something that drives me crazy every time I try to recall a login for a Web site, and Firefox asks if I want it to remember the password. The answers, essentially, are "yes," "no" or "never."

What I want is a "yes, but only if this password works." A lot of times, a failed password takes you to another screen, where you try to guess again. Firefox remembers that one, but also remembers the wrong one for the front page. I'm sure there's a manual way to fix all this, but bullocks to that.

Anyone know of an extension or fix for this kind of thing? Or am I just light years ahead of the Internet? Poking around, I found this security extension, but I can't say I really understand how it works.

But if you are using Firefox, I overwhelmingly recommend this calculator add-on. It's wonderful for day-to-day stuff or more advanced things like successive calculations (we use it for budgeting). Anyone know of other great extensions? I love Firefox, but I feel like I'm not really using it to its full potential.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would just disable the Firefox password manager. It never quite works for me. I use a shareware program called AIRoboform. It works great for remembering the proper passwords, and if you replace a password for a site while logging in, it will offer to replace your existing login info. The unregistered version will hold only so many passwords, but registration costs either $30. I think it's worth it, and I hardly ever pay for software.

Also, you can use your Google search bar as a calculator. This feature is built into Google. Just type in "20 * 20 =" without the quotes and it will give you an answer. If you have the CustomizeGoogle add-on, you can enable "Google Suggest" and it will give you an answer without having to hit enter (and sometimes without having to put an equal sign in). And you can do conversions in it. Try typing in "200 mph in kph" or "38 degrees C in F". There's a whole write-up of functions on Google's calculator page.

Here are some other suggestions for add-ons:
NoScript - great for not getting hacked while surfing.
McAfee SiteAdvisor - it lets you know if a site is likely to give you spam or infected downloads
AdBlock Plus - hide all sorts of internet ads and automatically updates using a global blacklist
Greasemonkey - code your own changes to a website, or just use someone else's code. There's tons of 'em.
TabMixPlus - change how Firefox's tabs behave.
Super DragAndGo - drag links to open them in a new tab. You won't know how convenient this is until you use it.
BugMeNot - automatically log in to a site with a user-submitted login (when you don't feel like giving out your personal info for a login). Note that this link goes directly to the installer. Go to www.bugmenot.com for more info.
Unwrap Text - when you see a multi-line address, select the text, choose "Unwrap Street Address", and a Google Map opens up showing that location.

IM me if you need any more in-depth info on Firefox. I've been using it for about four years now.