Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Did you see that Bitch Ratio show on Friday?

I think we, as a culture, are finally moving back away from rock band names with "The" followed by a plural noun.

I mean, when The Strokes came out, I liked the throw-back sound of the name. I even got on board with The Hives, The Vines, The Thrills and, god love em, The Black Keys (but the adjective sets them apart). No one was more excited than me to see a return to stripped-down roots rock. Now it's just crazy. The Killers, The Kills, The Glands, The Alternators, The Bravery, The Raveonettes, The Futureheads, The Perceptionists.

How about, The Forgettable? I used to have a hard time keeping The Cure and The Cult straight, but The Kills and The Killers?

Luckily, as I said, it seems we're moving past this period, so it's time we decide what the new fad will be.

In high school, I teamed up with my friend Bill to create the perfect band. We decided the name had to be "The" followed by an adjective, followed by a noun. The noun needed to be zany but recognizable, the adjective conveying action.

We chose The Flying Lemurs. To this day, I believe it's the best band ever. Someday, we'll play a song.

Today, I think a band needs to have a name that's vaguely offensive, even if you can't quite put your finger on the reason why.

I would go with "Congenital Harpies."

But I decided to hit a few Random Band Name Generators on the Web. Here were their picks for my new operatic prog powerhouse:

Flaming Agenda (good for an all-journalist band)
Bowl Full of Zealots
Arizona O'Clock
Violation of the Soiled (fits my vaguely offensive rule)
Criminal Catalyst
Clean Caution
Bitch Ratio
Atrocious Yet Dumbfoundingly Popular

So try it yourself here, here or here, and post a comment with your favorite results. This is as good a time as any to get all five of you writing comments.

On another musical note, Bill sent me this new video from Brenden Benson. The song's not so great, and Benson looks horrid, but the animation's fun and creepy.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Karen's contributions:
Teen Challenge Drug Addict Choir
Angst Imbalance
Fiber-Optic Robin
Furry Identity
Deep Fat Fried Report
Silver-haired Hair-lip
Scummy Pickles
and my favorite: Dead Taco and the Intensity

Christian said...

Favorite so far: River of Sheep

By the way, I still have the old Flying Lemurs site mirrored here: http://idlemindsradio.com/fl/

vo0do0chile said...

My favorite so far is "Jazz Assholes"

vo0do0chile said...

let's see... in addition to jazz assholes

The Lap Riders
Electric Pussy
kill-crazy shitpile
Orbital Vulva
Sloppy Landing
Pudgy Looker
Squeaky Orifice