Sunday, June 12, 2005

Two shows, one poorly documented theory

We hit two great events this weekend that seemed to showcase what's great and what's weak about U.S. culture. Or at least California culture. Or, you know, greater Sacramento Metropolitan Area culture.

First was a three-act concert in Nevada City, with the headliner being a band one of my friends recently joined. We missed Act 1, but a moderately skilled rock band came on next, then our friend's band, Black Bear (scroll down in link).

The good news: They were really mellow and impressive. I don't know why I've settled in on this description, but they're like a folksy Belle and Sebastian, which I have to say is not what I expected from a local band. Essentially, they had half a dozen people playing pretty simple, melodic guitar/bass/banjo parts, creating a complex, somewhat droning sound. And our friend, David, was great and somehow elegant on the drums.

The bad news:(It's not really bad, I'm just being overly simplistic.) It reminded me that there's just not much to do at a concert these days. Dancing consists mostly of head nodding and maybe some adventurous swaying -- and that was during the rock band's performance. And that level of inertia was limited to a dozen or so high schoolers and folks with crushes on the band. For their part, Black Bear at least gave you some moments of introspection ... it's the kind of show where a long, dirge-like song can leave you thinking, "Wow, I really should apologize to all the people I maligned in my youth." Maybe that was just me.

My point is, American rock and such just aren't interactive. The dancing is arythmic, and, let's face it, boring, even with high-energy bands. You just end up feeling like you're watching a theatrical production...one with a very static set.

So jump from Friday to Saturday night, when Karen's capoeira school hosted its Festa de Sao Joao in Sacramento. It's traditionally a Brazillian corn harvest celebration, but it feels about like any Brazillian party I've been to ... nonstop music and dancing, great food, scantily dressed attendees with bodies like Olympic athletes.

Don't get me wrong, the music was good (even though it centered around a ukulele...swear to god). But what was most impressive was that it really felt like a group experience, like you were interacting with the musicians, the performers and each other throughout the night. Most of my life, I've been ashamed to dance in public. Here, you would only be embarassed if you were one of the three lepers standing off to the side.

Although we spent most of the night drenched in sweat, I left feeling about 50 times more awake than when we went in. Now picture yourself leaving a concert, shuffling in a mob and trying to remember where your car is.

So do we have emulate another country to get Americans truly involved in a performance? Do Americans even want to feel involved, or is our comfort zone just too damn narrow?

No comments: