Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Air time

OK, a few fun photos from the belt test...


I'm the one on the right...


A throw called ogoshi...in black is Professor Ken Eddy. On the right is my sensei, Jason Spencer.

First part of a throw...

Second part of the throw.

If anything, the test showed me how much I still have to learn about the stuff I already know. It's scary to think that I now need to learn a few dozen more moves for the next test.

As I've gotten older, belt rank has meant a lot less. But it's still an honor to get promoted. Jason doesn't move anybody ahead until they're ready. I think that drives away some younger folks who want to move up the ranks quickly, but it makes us all focus on where we need to improve.

If we move out east, it's unlikely that I'll be able to stick with this style of jujitsu. It has stayed mostly on the west coast. But hopefully I can find something that keeps me active and learning. I've talked about starting capoiera with Karen if we move, and I still might try it, but it's a little more physically intense than I think I'm ready for right now. But you never know.

No comments: