Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The game of Life




Remember that board game Life? I loved that as a kid. But what always confused me about it was the fact that you spun the Wheel of Fate and randomly landed on your career track, which determined your income and lifestyle for the rest of your days.

I bought the other randomness of the game ... the number of kids, the house fires, even that square that makes you buy a helicopter ... but your career is the one area of your life where you actually do have control over your destiny, right?

This whole get-up-and-leave-California thing has left me doubting that. Suddenly, after a decade of devoting my life to journalism, I'm working at a cafe in Barnes and Noble. And the really weird thing is that I love it. I'm appreciated, I'm having fun, and I really like going in to work each day. I get to meet a lot of people, and I get the added perks of working in a gigantic book store.

Assuming no other good job offers emerge, I'll likely talk to the book store people about their opportunities for me after the holidays. They've been practically orgasmic about having me around, but that doesn't mean they're going to throw a living wage at me.

As for journalism, I've had some strong and largely negative emotions lately. In a word, I just feel bitter. But I also recognize this isn't a logical way to feel. With most of my friends happily employed in the journalism world, it seems silly to say that there's no place for me. But it has seemed like each experience of mine highlights the hypocrisy of journalism: Newspapers want to capture young audiences with fresh, exciting ideas. But they only want to hire managers who've been around forever and cling to stale, outdated philosophies that belong in the dustbin of history.

Just once I'd like to be turned down for a job because they went with someone more youthful and excited.

Any thoughts? Any words of inspiration from those of you still in the biz? I'm still looking at journalistic job opportunities, but it's more out of necessity than true longing.

2 comments:

Griner said...

All good points. One of the things I've been thinking is that if I decide to devote my life to running a coffee shop, isn't it worth taking a financial hit for a while to learn their secret tricks? And I am learning a lot...both about Starbucks and their relationship with retailers like B&N. Both are focused on efficiency (of training, quality assurance, etc.), which is something that was lacking at the independent where I worked after college.

Anna Haynes said...

Some of this Paul Graham essay might still be applicable, what with your unseemly youth and all. Besides he's good for cutting through the fog in all sorts of ways.

Personally I think you should join up with [mumble] on this project (in Charleston) although I do not know who/what/whether he has the power to hire.

(advice worth rather less than what you paid for it)