Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A new home, with lots of booze and video games!

With obvious apologies for the delay in posting, I should note that yes, we did make it to Birmingham. In fact, things went on with nary a hitch until I backed the empty moving truck down the driveway. Because of the angle of the street, it wedged the hitch of the truck into the asphalt, and the truck wouldn't go forward or back. With the help of a random neighbor and his two hydraulic jacks, we eventually got the situation under control.

My days have been quick, fun and random since Saturday. In case you don't remember, I'm staying with my sister and her husband, and they've been great about encouraging us to relax this first week and not worry about being productive. But we've still tried to offer some help around the house in return for the free rent.

The animals are getting along famously, with one exception. Loki, my sister's Brittany spaniel, loves the cats a bit too much, and he's willing to chase them around the house to prove it. We've set up a gate at one wing of the house, giving the cats free rein in the guest bedroom, computer room and bathroom. They adventure out into the main house once in a while, at their own peril.

Jonas, our dog, loves having two other dogs to play with all day. In fact, he sometimes asks to go behind the cat gate just so he can rest...without the other dogs making fun of him, I guess.

Of course, we're squeezing in lots of video games to make the most of our free time. Mostly we've been playing Civilization IV, which lived up to the hype and has been a pretty great game.

I'll check in more soon, but for now I'd like you folks to weigh in on this: With no definite idea of when I'll hear back on the Athens job, should get a part-time job (coffee shop, most likely) to help bring in a bit of income? I think it's a smart move, but my sister thinks it would be rude to take on a job and quit right away if I hear back on Athens.

Your thoughts?

No comments: