Monday, November 28, 2005

Thoughts amid the tornados

Life continues to move forward at a sometime-rapid, sometime-plodding pace as I continue my effort to figure out what I'm going to do with myself in the New Year of 2006.

Today was one of the first in a while where Karen and I have gotten to sleep in (about half an hour, but I'll take it) and hang out with each other all day. I work my first 6-close shift tonight, which should be interesting but not too crazy. Tornados have been sweeping across central Alabama all afternoon, and I'm guessing that'll keep people at home on a Monday night.


It's been interesting finding out who else ends up working at a cafe at Christmastime. Most are recent or upcoming college grads just filling their time and pocketbooks with the extra work. All but one or two have a college degree or will soon. Demographically, I've heard I'm the second oldest (not counting the cafe manager). Tonight, I'm scheduled to work with the oldest, a fella who used to be a fifth-grade teacher. Some of his former students have stopped by since I've been there, and that left me curious about his story. Did he get tired of it, or is this just a semi-retirement thing?

Not too many people seem surprised that a 28-year-old would be working a near-minimum-wage job with a college degree and management experience. People seem to end up at Barnes and Noble either because they want to be there or they just want a transitional filler in their lives. I'm obviously the latter.

In other news of transitional filler, I got a nice e-mail the other day from the journalism head at the University of Alabama, Birmingham. On a hunch, I had sent him my resume with some comments about my willingness to help teach any newswriting classes. I didn't really expect to hear back, but he wrote back quickly and said he was impressed with my background. He said he might have an opening in December or January, as the new semester nears.

What motivated me to send the note, other than the general need of employment, was my sincere desire to try out academia and see if there's anything rewarding there for me. I enjoyed the teaching aspect of being a city editor, but that was really just something you squeezed into the small gaps between the daily workload. Karen's applying for some full-time jobs at UAB, and if she got one, it might be a good chance for one or both of us to pursue a master's. The only thing standing in the way is the fact that neither of us knows what kind of degree we would want.

Is there ever a point in your life where you stop wondering what you'll be when you grow up?

4 comments:

Oberon said...

......fight club.......totally.

Christian said...

When I was eight, I knew I wanted to be an airline pilot.

When I was twelve, I knew I wanted to be a veterinarian.

When I was fifteen, I knew I wanted to me a video game programmer.

All of those still sometimes seem more appealing than what I'm doing now. I don't think you ever grow out of it.

Griner said...

The career dreams of my childhood:

1. Archeologist
2. Geologist
3. Comic book writer
4. Archer

I now realize that the first two would require some intensive education for me to switch over, and I'm not sure that last one is really a career. Graphic novels are hot now, and the writing is finally getting some respect. Hmm...

Griner said...

Oh, and congrats Jeff on your likely return to education. It would be criminal if a guy as smart as you never got a college degree. Unless you're designing cars.