Wednesday, December 20, 2006

How/when/what/where/mate with Pygmies?


I hate to harken to Slate.com articles two days in a row, but there's a classic today. As they continue to wrap up the year, Slate's "Explainer" feature listed some of the questions they didn't answer in 2006.

Here are my favorites (with parenthetical notes from me):

• Why do train whistles at night always sound lonely and mournful? Not so in the daytime.
(Seriously...isn't that true?)

• Is it possible to collect all the cookie dough in Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream and actually bake cookies from it?
(My guess was no. A little Google sleuthing proved I was right.)

• Can you tell me how long it will take if you eat rat poison to see if it is going to affect you? Please e-mail me back. Because my niece ate some.
(In an anthro class, I once learned that some monkeys will risk their lives to save their nieces and nephews. However, the professor did not say how quickly the uncle monkey would jump on the case.)

• I have noticed that a lot of mainstream movies feature men peeing. Are the actors really peeing?
(I actually remember someone asking Ebert whether Jodie Foster was really peeing in "Panic Room." Ebert said that stuff's always a sound effect added later.)

• PYGMIES: How/when/where/still in existence/do we mate with them?
(This one's solely here for you, Britt.)

Oh, and for those of you who read "The Know-It-All," you might remember that writer AJ Jacobs repeatedly mentioned that kids like to ask how far down dirt goes. For fun, I poked that into Google and found the answer the same place he probably did...in an article from Esquire, where Jacobs is an editor.

Ten feet or less. In case you care.

No comments: