Friday, December 22, 2006

I hear the cool kids are "pod-casting."


OK folks, I'm quite seriously thinking about starting a regular podcast in early 2007. I've talked to some of you about this, and you've seemed receptive, although the idea is still a bit vague.

But before we talk about the point of the podcast (which will, I assure you, have a point and not just be an audio version of ye olde cafe), I wanted to pick your collective brain.

1. For those of you who listen to podcasts, what do you find you like or don't like? Do you have any pet peeves, or anything that draws you back to listen again?

My only true podcast addiction has been Tim Gunn's recaps of Project Runway. When I ask myself why, I think it's because he hits a mean podcast trifecta:
• Cool voice that's easy on the ears.
• Fun background stories on something I'm already interested in.
• Sly humor and earnest personality (ie, no obvious script).

2. Have any of you tried making a podcast? If so, I don't think I've ever heard it. But let me know if you tried, what equipment and software you used, and how it went for you.

Well, I guess that's really it for questions. I've mostly been probing the Internet for tips on free or cheap podcasting software to try. I also watched this free seminar from Apple about how to make a good podcast. It wasn't quite as helpful as I hoped (shockingly, it mostly pimped the power of Mac's own software), but it had some good tips.

Oh, and I don't want to seem I'm being coy about the nature of my podcast. It'll be about world history, somewhat following in the tone of my occasional trivia quizzes. I'm just hesitant to explain it thoroughly and put it out there for your review before I actually decide on the format and such. But rest assured, I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

Greg said...

I've probably listened to nearly 50 different podcasts (and have worked my way down to maybe 8 regular ones -- keith and the girl, the penn gillette show, coverville, NPR's "wait wait, don't tell me", NPR's science friday, retrocrush, uc berkeley's american history lectures, and various classical music ones) I have a few pet peeves.

1) Overproduction. Some people use too many weird sound effects and stuff that they edit in. Sounds too radio jock morning show for me.
2) Reading. Some podcasters seem like they type out a script and read it. It just sounds horrible and stilted. Maybe write down a few main points, and tell your story like you're talking to friends at a party, not delivering a powerpoint presentation. For that matter, powerpoint presentations SHOULD be delivered like that too. Don't ever ever read slides. That's boring. But back on topic.
3) Don't rush. I've unsubscribed from a few podcasts because, while they may have interesting viewpoints, rushed through what they were saying, leaving it barely understandable. Even worse, some people did it right after they ate, just belching through the whole thing. Awful.
4) Have something new to say. But that's the whole point of the thing, right?

Griner said...

Great points, Greg! Thanks. You pointed out my two big pet peeves, which are the sound effects and scripted readings. I'll take your other issues to heart too.

My goal is to be conversational, educational and fun, but I'm sure it'll take a few go-rounds before I nail down exactly what it should sound like.

Initially, I just want to get past that barrier of actually getting one done. When Joseph Jaffe spoke to our company, he asked how many people had heard of podcasts. Most everyone raised a hand. Then he asked how many had listened to one, and the crowd cut to about a third. Then he asked who had made one, and the only guy left was someone from Interactive.

Next year...two hands!

JH said...

I too love the Tim Gunn Podcast. I look forward to hearing your podcast. I am avoiding them well mainly because I have a voice the reminds people of I don't know nails on a chalkboard. So for the sake of the world, I limit my endless chatter to my meaningless yet throughly enjoyable (at least to me) blog. I will however subscribe to yours, I am always looking for something to make my time at the gym more exciting. Let me know when it is up.

Griner said...

On a related note, I just added a link to your blog on my main page. Here's another plug for it:

http://tivochangedmylife.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Revision3 made a vidcast out of how to make a podcast:

http://revision3.com/systm/podcasting

There's a link there to the episode. I haven't seen it, yet since I have no interest in making podcasts.

I don't know if I've quite matched Greg's voracity for podcasts, but I have replaced all of my radio listening with podcasts. Much of that, however, is due to my car radio not getting any AM reception. I do like not having to listen to a straight ten minutes of commercials.

Anywho, here's what I like in podcasts:
1) Clear topics with a conversational delivery. The occasional tangential remark should be made only when interesting.
2) No more time than necessary is spent on a topic. Good podcasters will know when a topic has played out and move to the next one. This may be more relevant to more news-y shows, but it might apply to yours as well.
3) Lots of humor. I tend to not listen to unfunny podcasts. I doubt your podcast would be lacking any of this.
4) A good intro theme. I know it seems like icing, but it does help flavor the whole podcast.
5) A little beer couldn't hurt.

I usually listen to tech- and game-themed podcasts, but I think these are universal. Here's what I listen to (for reference): This Week in Tech, DiggNation, Games for Windows Podcast, 1UP Yours, EGM Live!*, The 1UP Show, Cranky Geeks, Major Nelson, 2old2type and Gamasutra (this one tends to be dry, though).

Griner said...

Cool, thanks Dale. On the theme song note, I've hired the best that no money can buy. Jamey's agreed to compose an intro and some bumpers for me. He has an awesome studio setup in his music room, so it should sound pretty great.