Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Returning home to war bonds, dog hair, etc.


A few strange things awaiting me when I returned from Alabama on Monday:

1. A 1943 war bond that was never redeemed. It's a $25 bond in perfect condition that my great-aunt sent from St. Louis. People seem to be selling them on the Internet for about $200. I'm just surprised anyone held on to one. Hard to turn down $25 bucks in 1953. We'll probably frame it as a keepsake. This is the actual scan of the bond, in case you're curious.

2. My dog has picked up a new hobby: Shedding. Apparently, after a year of no-shed bliss, he's ditching his winter coat in favor of a more flattering, form-fitting ensemble. And like a drunken sorority girl, he's leaving pieces of his old outfit on pretty much any surface available. Yaaay! Luckily, I learned about rubber pet brushes, which apparently work a ton better than traditional brushes. Sure enough, it works like a pro.

3. My paper won first place in feature writing, second place in investigative reporting, and second place in front page from the California Better Newspapers Contest. This is the big contest for papers our size. The cool thing is, I worked directly and intensely with each of the winners. As an editor, you don't get much notice, so these kinds of awards are great.

4. My office is almost completely remodeled. After a few weeks of funneling everyone through an employee entrance, we actually have a cool entryway now. On Friday, we rip out the carpets and replace ALL the furniture. Meaning, for the first time in a few years, my computer won't have to sit on a pile of plywood. I know this doesn't interest you guys much, but in case you've never seen my office, it's a total cave. Now they've raised the ceilings, expanded the building, updated the AC (just in time), etc.

Sorry for the time away, but I should be more consistently posting now.

No comments: