Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloween lies and my date with all the dead wives in Bluebeard's closet.

So you know that haunted house so scary that you get all your money back if you make it to the end? Or where they pay you for each floor you're able to reach? Or that's sooo scary, no one's ever finished it?

Yeah, Snopes.com says it never existed.

I remember hearing stories about these kinds of haunted houses way, way back when I was a kid. Someone told me once that visitors had to climb each story, and thuggish monsters would grab you and throw you through a hole in the floor so you couldn't go higher. Sounded like a lawsuit waiting to happen, and the Snopes article even mentions that as being one of the mythical scenarios.

I never really got into haunted houses. When I was really young, they freaked me out too much to enjoy. When I was old enough to enjoy them, they didn't scare me.

My favorite haunted house experience was at Stephens College, a women's liberal arts school in Missouri. I was doing an article on their literary/historical-themed haunted house, and women would literally jump out and knock me to the ground. Unfortunately, I only had enough money to go through five times. ;)

1 comment:

Griner said...

That was just the beauty of being an obscure women's college that probably got 15 haunted house visitors a night. I remember that hands would also shoot out from holes in the wall and grab your ankle. I don't think I've ever fallen for so many women in one night. (ba-dum-pah).