Monday, May 22, 2006

Aw yeah, I smoked that joint.


So I thought I was over-reacting by going to see an orthopedic surgeon today about my knee, which conked out while I was playing tennis yesterday. It hasn't hurt incredibly bad, but I've been pretty limpy.

Apparently, I reacted appropriately. The doc thinks I tore the meniscus cartilage, which acts as the protective buffer between your thigh and your shin bones. I'll be heading back in tonight for an MRI to confirm the diagnosis.

Here I must point out how my doctor phrased the prognosis:

"If you're lucky, it's a torn meniscus, and we can repair it surgically. You should recover in three weeks."

Yeah, you know it's a good conversation when a doctor describes the chance of surgery with "if you're lucky."

So what's the unlucky outcome? Early-onset arthritis! I have to admit, that puts surgery into perspective. One day of surgery and three weeks of recovery vs. 60 years or so of excruciating joint pain. Deal or no deal?

Oh well. I should just be glad I'm a few years past this being the common treatment:

The traditional method of surgery for a torn meniscus (cartilage) involves admission to a hospital for several days, one or more surgical incisions that may average several inches, several weeks on crutches, and up to several months to completely rehabilitate the knee. (Source)


These days, it's more common to go in with fiberoptics and such and just yoink out the torn bits. (Obviously, I have a mastery of medical terminology from my days in massage therapy training.)

Anyway, I have another appointment tomorrow to go over the MRI results and see if I need to be put down. Until then, I'll be comforted by the fact that it could be worse.

No comments: