Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Shoot this, Johnny Depp.


So I've now made two attempts at the dish made famous by "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" (insert Salma Hayek joke here), and I have to say, it's a bit of a hit. I'm judging that partly on the fact that I've been really happy with it and partly on the fact that my sister wants to implement "Puerco Pibil Night" about three times a week.

So in case you haven't gotten this recipe from me (or if you haven't gotten to try it...poor bastard), here it is. Although the recipe is on the DVD, I got it from this great site, which includes reader comments on how they tweaked the recipe. I've attached some of my own suggestions at the bottom, but I would encourage you to at least try to standard recipe once before gooning around with it.

Puerco Pibil

5 pounds pork butt, cut into 2 inch cubes
5 tablespoons annato seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 tablespoon whole black pepper
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
8 whole allspice berries
2 habanero Peppers, fresh or dried, cleaned and minced (optional)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup white vinegar
8 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons salt
5 lemons
1 shot of tequila
banana leaves (optional)

Grind the annato seeds, cumin seeds, whole peppercorns, whole cloves, and whole allspice in a mortar and pestle, spice grinder or coffe grinder. Blend the chopped habanero peppers with the orange juice, vinegar, garlic and salt.

Mix the dry spices with the liquid.

Add the juice of 5 lemons and a nice splash of tequila.

Place the cubed pork butt in a large zip lock bag and add the marinade. Soak 4-6 hours, in refrigerator, turning several times.

Line (8x13) baking pan with banana leaves. Pour in pork along with the marinade. Cover with Banana leaves and seal the pan with foil. Bake in a 325 F degree oven for 4 hours.

Griner's suggestions:

1. I replaced the lemons with limes and was very happy with the outcome.
2. I haven't yet tried the banana leaves (I just cooked it in casserole dishes), but I plan to use them someday.
3. Don't remove the habanero seeds. So far, no one's complained it's too spicy.
4. Let it marinate as long as possible. I've been letting it sit in the fridge three days or so.
5. Don't trim the pork butt when you cube it (except for the huge chunks of fat). The fat and connective tissue made the dish deliciously tender.
6. Use the biggest Boston butt/pork butt you can find. I did a 7-pounder last time, and there weren't leftovers. You have to remember there's a big, obnoxious shoulder blade bone in the middle of it.
7. Try serving it on flour tortillas instead of rice. That's been a crowd pleaser.

Good luck, and be sure to let me know how it turns out for you.

No comments: