Monday, May 15, 2006

Or maybe we could just concentrate journalists into convenient camps!


Living in California, I saw that liberal zealots and conservative zealots were separated only by the party they wished to see in power. As a journalist, I was harangued by both on a regular basis, and I actually enjoyed their inability to even imagine that someone could be a moderate.

I generally stomach what I hear on right wing radio by recognizing that it's the same tack that liberals are taking, now that they know it works. I'm looking at you, Al Franken.

But today, when ABC reported that the White House is tracking the phone records of reporters to find the sources of leaks, I was flabbergasted by the "rebuttal" of some conservatives. It just seems that after all the flagellation Clinton took from the press, Republicans would recognize the value of investigative reporting being part of the check-and-balance system.

Apparently not.

Here are some comments from the ABC Web story. They're just about a brick's throw away from a Kristallnacht.


Posted by: Brad | May 15, 2006 11:13:00 AM

well maybe ABC news better stop leaking classified information. This only helps our enemies and right now I believe ABC news is an enemy of the US.

Posted by: scott | May 15, 2006 11:13:39 AM

You didn't inconvenience someone, you broke the law. It's called a criminal investigation!!!!

Posted by: robert johnson | May 15, 2006 11:17:13 AM

GOOD! I hope they find out who is reporting all of these leaks. And I hope you are tried and perhaps spend some time in jail for it.
KEEP CALLING and I hope they track your every word!

Posted by: voxpopgirl | May 15, 2006 11:26:09 AM

I am a journalism graduate, UNC-Chapel Hill. I am also a veteran.
I hope they catch every government leaker of classified secret information and put them in prison for life. And any reporter publishing known classified secret information should be shot. It is called treason, not first amendment rights.

Posted by: Tom Paine | May 15, 2006 12:50:44 PM

I think that this is very good news. Something has to be done to investigate the main-stream media as the MSM has obviously declared war against the President in regards to the war on terror and and the liberation of Iraq. It is outrageous how they are working to leak classified information and to undermine our security at every turn with their reporting. It is also outrageous how they fabricate stories against the President or in a timely fashion recycle old stories as if they were new. I personally no longer trust the MSM at all and feel extremely threatened by their agenda.

Posted by: Garry | May 15, 2006 12:51:49 PM

You commit treason and expose classified national securtiy information - the goverment is going to come after you - as they should.

1 comment:

voxpopgirl said...

Hi there, my name is voxpopgirl.

i know i'm a little late (!) in posting a comment regarding your post, however...

You mistakenly attributed my name to the following disgusting comment that i did not make at the ABC "Blotter" page:

Good! I hope they do find out who is leaking national security info to the press. I'm tired of the press helping our enemies. Maybe you guys should start trying to "FOR the USA" instead of "AGAINST the USA" ALL THE TIME. I hope the FBI nails lots of idiots who are out to destroy the intelligence agencies and cost us more soldiers and spys!

Posted by: Grace | May 15, 2006 11:09:57 AM

______________________

The dispicable comment above was posted by some pariah who has the gall to call herself "Grace".

As voxpopgirl, my **one and only** comment at "The Blotter" read as follows:

Just as NYTimes' Frank Rich warned in his OpEd this past Sunday:

"...this program may have more to do with monitoring "traitors" like reporters and leakers than with tracking terrorists."

And i bet we could add political opponents and candidates to that list too.

Posted by: voxpopgirl | May 15, 2006 11:26:09 AM


I would truly be grateful if you could remove my moniker from that foul and offensive comment in your post and give "credit" where it is due: to "Grace".

kind regards,
and thanks in advance,
voxpopgirl

(http://voxpopgirl.blogspot.com)