Friday, January 26, 2007

'Oh, we just use the singles to mop out the mocha bucket.'


I went into a Starbucks yesterday, which has become a relatively rare event since I have pretty good coffee at work now and I get 50% off the Starbucks we sell at the bookstore.

So anyway, I went up to the register and noticed that one of the two full-to-the-brim tip jars was topped with two $20 bills.

Me: "Wow, you have some good customers."

Guy: "Oh, we just have to consolidate it so it all fits in the jars."

Me: *Strangles guy*

I sell the same coffee as this guy and likely make better espresso drinks (because I make them with love, and Starbucks makes them with corporate greed). But I get -- at best -- a buck a night in tips.

Why? Because B&N doesn't allow tip jars. Why? Who knows? I personally think it's so that booksellers don't feel the cafe people get an unfair money-making advantage.

Claypits mentioned yesterday that she never knows whether to tip in places like coffee shops. The answer is a resounding yes, especially if you're at B&N. It's the only place I've worked where a 25-cent tip makes you the best customer of the day.

But if the guy's got two twenties stacked precariously on a wad of bills, you can give him the tip -- of your elbow! Aw yeah.

No comments: