Thursday, January 25, 2007

Who is Canada's most famous writer?


This question arose this morning with friend Open(s) Book(s) as I was telling her that I'm reading Robertson Davies, whom I described as the clear leader in Canadian literature. (He's shown here, looking, as always, like God.)

Of course, in my proud tradition of sounding more confident than I am, I decided to research Davies' real standing. O.B. countered with Margaret Atwood and Alice Munro, and I admit they probably have better name recognition internationally than Davies.

But let's leave this up to Google, shall we?

If you Google "Most famous Canadian writer," you get such storied figures as:
Stephen Leacock (?)
Richard Scrimger (??)
Lucy Maud Montgomery (Give you a hint..."___ of Green Gables")
John Glassco (?!)
And yes, some sci-fi strumpet named
Margaret Atwood

Obviously, Google is the wrong tool here, like using nunchucks on a zombie.

But enough poking eventually turned up a Wikipedia page about Canadian literature.

I would point out that Robertson Davies' picture is the first one you see, but in all honesty, I feel this paragraph sums it up best:

Arguably, the best-internationally-known living Canadian writer (especially after the recent passing of Canadian greats, Robertson Davies and Timothy Findley) is Margaret Atwood, a prolific novelist, poet, and literary critic. This group, along with Alice Munro, who has been called the best living writer of short stories in English,[2] were the first to elevate Canadian Literature to the world stage.


So there you go.

In case you're curious, the book I'm reading right now is The Rebel Angels, part of Davies' Cornish Trilogy. If you're thinking about picking him up for the first time, I would start with Fifth Business, his famous (in Canada) first installment in the Deptford Trilogy.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Lucy *Maud* Montgomery, or just L.M. to people who have read way too many of her books.

Unknown said...

Though for living writer, I'd definitely say Atwood.

Bill said...

I recognized a bunch of these names...which is strange becuase I don't know who they are....then I remembered where I had heard them before.... Canadian music (of course).

Moxy Fruvous to be exact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Baby_Loves_a_Bunch_of_Authors

Bill said...

My_Baby_Loves_a_Bunch_of_Authors

Previous link got truncated.

Griner said...

Sadly, I think I did pick up Fifth Business because Davies' name rang a bell from that song.

Wow, that's a special level of nerddom.

Emily said...

Awesome. I win. Sort of.

Griner said...

Yeah, kick a guy when he's dead.

Karyn said...

Guess I am little late on posting to this but I weigh in as a fan of Timothy Findley.

Other notable live or dead Canadaian authors include:

Douglas Copeland, Mordici Richler, W.O. Mitchell, W.P. Kinsella, Magaret Laurence (We had to study Stone angel in school), Aretha Van Herk, Michael Ondatjee, Hugh McLennan, Carol Shields, Guy Gavreil Kay (fantasy), and Shaon Patella.

Have fun and it is nice to see you are picking up some books from the motherland.

P.S. Sunshine and Lake Louise have the best snow season yet so ... a trip north perhaps?

Andrea said...

I really enjoyed the "Blind Assasin" Atwood book you sent me. I would have to say, as a lit major, Atwood is much more recognized as a foremost Canadian Author.
By the way, I forgot how good it is to read real writers occasionally (I have been on a Stephen King phase for a while, and somehow, his imagry and metaphor leave a little bit to be desired). Anyhow, just thought I would add that little tidbit. :)
Andrea