Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Do my bidding, ye nerdy flying monkeys!


So now that I'm moderately settled in, and the old entertainment center is alive once again, I realize I'm a bit behind the times.

Other than Project Runway, I haven't really watched a TV show in upward of a year. While I view that as an accomplishment, I've also been emboldened by our recent discovery of Battlestar Gallactica, which Karen and I have been obsessing over until polishing off the second season last night.

So I have two questions for you all...

1. Are there any great hidden TV gems out there I should Tivo? Anything fun and new or mildly addictive? And no, I don't have HBO or Showtime or any other premium stuff, so keep your suggestions limited to the mouth-breather mainstream stuff.

2. I'm also reveling in the joy of "legacy hardware." I've got a big happy original Xbox with only a few games for it. With the rise of the 360, that means a pretty nice price break on the older games. (Or it means you folks have them just sitting around.) My question: What are good two-player games for the original Xbox? I'm not looking at Xbox Live stuff (Splinter Cell, etc.), just stuff that Karen and I can play together. We played one of the Hunter games and enjoyed it until it just got too repetitive. We both loved Jade Empire, so good solo game recommendations are appreciated, too.

Alright, thanks for the help. I must now endeavor to sell beer to the masses....always an uphill battle.

5 comments:

Christian said...

Stuff that's on TV right now? Well, Lost is pretty good, but you aren't going to get it unless you watch from the beginning. Hillary and I have also been watching House M.D. religiously, which dumb fun and a lot more episodic.

If you have a Netflix account, I definitely recommend renting the full runs of Firefly, Dead Like Me, and (especially) Wonderfalls. Don't worry, none of them lasted longer than two seasons so it's not a huge time commitment, but they're three of the best shows that have come out in recent years.

As for games, well, the Xbox sadly doesn't have much in the way of co-op. D&D Heroes is fun (it's a lot like the console Baldur's Gate games), and the two X-Men Legends titles were a blast. I think all of these have made it into the $20 "greatest hits" category by now.

Griner said...

We've done Dead Like Me (but not Season 2), Firefly and the first season of Lost. Haven't heard of Wonderfalls. I'll check it out.

I can't remember if we played D&D Heroes. We have Gauntlet, which I wasn't a fan of. Thanks for the tips!

Griner said...

I heard you're a big fan of "Red Hot Pet Weddings" and "Dr. Bullring: Hollywood Piercer." No shame in recommending those, C-Pits.

Griner said...

Oooh, Drea snuck in that comment before I could respond to the last one...just wanted to be clear I was responding to Ms. Jackson (If You're Nasty).

Yeah, I still like Scrubs, even with the cheesy pregnancy cliffhanger.

Bill said...

The Venture Bros is surprisingly good. We didn't think so on our first viewing though....but it's one of those things we kept making references to, then just broke down and started to watch it.

If I have to have a halloween costume this year, I think I'll be Dr. Orpheus from the show....just so I get to talk like him all night....plus what a swank costume. Pin-stripe pants, smoking jacket AND a cape.