Thursday, July 27, 2006

Skewering morning show 'journalists'

Just had to pass on some great video clips that get across several of my beefs with morning shows like "Today." When I did my brief consulting gig early this year, I watched these shows while I was getting ready each day, and it really did stun me to see how deplorable they really are. (15 minutes on Natalee Hollaway, 2 minutes on massive storms killing dozens, etc.)

Anyway, just as backstory, Stephen Colbert recently did a piece where he got a Florida congressman to say things that could keep him from beeing re-elected (except that he's unopposed in November). I was impressed that the guy went along with it, and I did wonder if it would have some fallout.

Here's the clip from that first piece.

Then Colbert followed up after morning shows questioned why any public official would possibly go on his show. Here's that clip. It's a bit long, but it's classic...especially the ending.

3 comments:

Christian said...

Is it wrong that I actually enjoy the Colbert Report more than the Daily Show these days? I think TDS started taking itself a little too seriously after it got a bunch of media attention during the last presidental election, while Colbert's show continually parodies itself.

Bill said...

I still enjoy the Daily Show, but occasionally get annoyed when Jon starts to feel a bit self-important. Remember, you're my monkey-boy....so dance.

Griner said...

Colbert is constantly evolving and becoming more interesting. That being said, he has a schtick, and at some point, all schticks get old. (Just ask Craig Kilborn).