Monday, June 05, 2006

Cautious optimism in the Griner home

Well, I'm back at work, and I'm somewhat mobile. Still haven't gotten together with my doctor about the long-term prospects for my knees, but I'm glad to save that upbeat discussion for another day.

We do have a few reasons to be optimistic, though. Karen's got a second interview for a potentially cool job, and we found a new house possibility. It's cheaper, in better shape and less falling apart than our last choice. But we just looked at it yesterday (along with a few hellholes) and haven't heard back from the Realtor on whether the neighborhood is a safe investment. I'm guessing it probably is, especially since we could do some easy upgrades on the place to make it more valuable.

I'm going to hold off on posting photos and such until we at least get this place under contract. But if nothing else, finding this second place so quickly has shown me that there are plenty of good possibilities out there.

A few things I learned while couch-ridden for the past week:

1. The show How I Met Your Mother is as good as some of our friends seem to think. We've plowed through the first four episodes of the first season. The pilot was a bit too CBS-ed, with an amazingly bad laugh track, but it's got Doogie Howser and Willow!

2. Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires officially is the first Xbox 360 game to warrant the ejection of Oblivion (but not forever, of course). The game is not intuitive, and the instructions are worthless, but luckily I had time to kill last week. Once you figure it out, it's a great two-player game.

3. That new Battlestar Gallactica series isn't so bad, either. Watched the pilot miniseries and was impressed that it's more talky than fighty. We're getting the first season disc in the mail soon.

4. My wife and sister are awesome. Already knew that, of course, but a week of invalidity helped drive it home.

1 comment:

Christian said...

I'm happy to see that you're feeling better!

The new Battlestar Galactica is absolutely awesome. The full series (especially once you get into season two) is even better than the miniseries, so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. There are story arcs that span several episodes (kind of like Star Trek: Deep Space Nine did -- not surprising, since the producer and head writer both worked on DS9).