Monday, June 26, 2006

Working's great...maybe I should do more of it.

I'm quickly waking up to the economic reality of the fact that I've bought a house. Our footloose and rent-free lifestyle is about to crash to a halt, although I'm freakishly excited about having our own place to play with.

The good news is, Karen expects to hear back this week on a few job possibilities, and I'm still sure that she'll find a good fit within the next month or two. The openings have been few, and she's jumped all over them as soon as they appear. Her job-application kung fu has improved each time, too.

For now, I'm considering returning to the cafe (the Starbucky one, not this one) a few nights a week. A couple four-hour shifts would help cover some utility bills without overstressing me. I actually get kinda restless with how non-exhaustive this job is. Also, I miss the cafe. The coworkers, the customers, the discount...it was all great. I talked to my advertising boss today, and he's cool with me taking the second job, as long as it doesn't conflict with this one. I doubt it will.

I had lunch with a cafe coworker today who also works a full-time job and a third job bartending for special events. He says the extra money has made a big difference for him, but it was mostly from the bartending. I just don't feel up to losing my weekend nights, though.

Thoughts? Any of you working multiple jobs out there?

3 comments:

Bill said...

All I hear is: "I just realized there's going to be a lot of work to do on the new house. I best schedule myself to be somewhere else."

Griner said...

Damn. Bill's on to me.

Minor update: Left a note for the cafe managers yesterday telling them I'd work Monday and Wendesday nights. Someone told me several people are leaving the cafe, so that might make my cherry-picking possible.

Griner said...

Geez, where else are you working? I thought you'd be set once you started making that mad Sexy Librarian money.

More importantly, how the hell was your honeymoon?!