Thursday, November 30, 2006

R.I.P.



For all its faults, I have to say I'll miss The X, Birmingham's sole remaining "alternative" station. It signed off yesterday, and I've heard the staff got almost no notice. It's now some sort of sports talk bullshit.

(You can see the angry listener responses over on the station's MySpace page.)

Is this a bigger issue? Is my kind of music (and, apparently, My Chemical Romance) fading into a commercial purgatory, only to emerge as "classic rock" a few years from now? The X had no competition for its target audience. Is it satellite radio competition? Is iTunes ruining the world of free radio?

And for the love of god, who will broadcast live from jello wrestling at Bell Bottoms?! Someone think of the children!

5 comments:

Greg said...

I listened to it occaisionally, but it was still pretty bad. And now we have 3000 rednecks arguing over who should be Alabama's next football coach. I consider myself a sports fan, but am not able to sit through 2 minutes of that. Smell ya later, the X....I'll stick to riding around town listening to my iPod with one earbud, thankyouverymuch.

Bill said...

I'm so tired of hearing about football coaches that I'm to the point of delusional fantisies of removing larynxes while I stalk around work.

Karen said...

Um, what you call your music has been considered "classic rock" for several years now. Just be thankful it's not "classical" just yet.

Christian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christian said...

I stopped listening to the X back when they were still (over)playing the Creed, Nickelback, or Third Eye Blind band-of-the-week.

They'll pry my XM receiver out of my cold, dead, zombie hands.

(Weird, my comments are screwy on the beta Blogger site...)