Saturday, September 03, 2005

Need some good news?

Here's one bright spot in the disaster hitting one of my favorite cities in the world...

McIlhenny Company is operating normally and the production of TABASCO® brand products are unaffected by the recent hurricane. Our New Orleans office employees are all accounted for and have been relocated to our Corporate Office on Avery Island, Louisiana.
I also tried looking for the status of the Abita and Dixie breweries...but no luck. I did find this comment on a Dixie fan site:

Dixie Rocks a Bayou 'gators ass!!!
With that level of quality, it's difficult to believe a simple natural disaster could have disrupted Dixie's production.

I also found this scarily predictive story about people who got out of the way of Katrina from the Philadelphia Enquirer:

With Hurricane Katrina poised to slam into the Gulf Coast, Dawn Salmon of Huntingdon Valley tried to find a way to get her daughter out of New Orleans. But all of the airlines and trains were booked and Liz, 19, was too young to rent a car on her own.

So Salmon, 49, went to her.

Yesterday morning, she took a near-empty flight from Philadelphia to Louis Armstrong International Airport. There, she met up with her daughter, a student at Loyola University. Together, they went to find a rental car. Poring over a map, they said they didn't know where they would go - Houston or Memphis or Little Rock or Atlanta - but they knew they would be all right if they were together.

"I'm not scared, but I would be if I weren't here and she were here by herself," Dawn Salmon said. "I'm a mom."


I haven't quite felt a sincere emotional impact from the storm yet. That's strange, since I truly do love New Orleans and can't believe that it's been all but knocked off the map. I don't doubt it will be rebuilt, but I fear it will lose much of its old-world charm if speculators and developers swallow up all this ravaged land.

It's been interesting seeing how this disaster has put things in perspective for so many people. Surprisingly, it made me feel my job was even more important. Each day that we've run stories of local assistance for the Gulf Coast (which has been every day, really), the number of volunteers and donations has almost doubled. Now I realize that might have happened without us covering anything, but the local relief agencies have credited our coverage with much of the aid.

I haven't heard about my distant family in the Florida panhandle, but I'm assuming they're OK. Other than gas prices matching California's, my family in Alabama made it out pretty much unscathed, as well.

1 comment:

vo0do0chile said...

maybe you haven't felt an emotional impact fromt he storm becuase it's too much to take in. I think about it, but I never let it all wash over me because it's too much. NEw orleans and coastal mississippi are destroyed and there's a combination of chaos and red tape that's preventing things from getting done. It's enough to make your head explode.