Thursday, September 29, 2005

Well, this was unexpected

Last night, I noticed a job ad for the editorial adviser at the student newspaper in Athens, Ga. Luckily, it was e-mail only, so I shot off a cover letter and resume this morning.

A short time later, I got an e-mail back from the publisher. It was a form letter letting me know that they had received a ton of applicants and didn't expect to get back to me for a few weeks.

So a few minutes later, I get another e-mail from the publisher. He had just read the slideshow from my presentation in Chicago and jokingly said "YOU'RE HIRED!" Yeah, if you ever want to give a job applicant a heart attack, say that. Then say, "just kidding."

I called him at lunch and we chatted for a while. He'll be visiting Reno soon, so I'm going to go out and meet him for a face-to-face talk. He hopes to fill the position within a few weeks.

This is a rare position, but it sounds like a great one. I'd be a full-time adviser (but non-faculty) to the staff of an independent student paper. I'd be close to home, paid pretty well and able to work on a master's in my offtime.

So yeah, that came out of nowhere. But very cool.

No comments: