Monday, October 31, 2005

Day 1 (Truckee, Calif.)

I'm stopped at a coffee shop in downtown Truckee. OK, OK, I haven't made it that far. But we got a late start this morning, and I went ahead of Karen so she could handle some last-minute errands and catch up with me on the interstate. Right now, I'm just waiting for her to pull up with the dog. The cats are exploring the rental truck cab.

Probably because of the frantic nature of our exit, I wasn't exactly saddled by sorrow in leaving. It's not that I dislike Nevada City in any way; it's just that I'm so excited about starting the next chapter of my life. Karen is amazingly excited, too, which makes it that much better.

A funny thing about starting a massive moving project on Oct. 31....it's easy to forget that it's halloween. So I keep wondering why there are so many people at coffee shops with pink hair, or why the bank manager was wearing a black leather jacket and matching chaps. Ending Day 1 in Nevada should be an interesting experience on Halloween, too.

Oh, one other bit of cool news. I put my old, clunky, 15-pound laptop on eBay, where apparently these things are still popular. I ended up getting $220.50 for it! That's half a tank of gas in the rental truck! Woohoo!

No comments: