Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Update no. 2 (two in one day! what a deal)

Dateline: Athens, Ga. Corner Coffee (open 24 hours)

As I continue to kill time before my killer flight back home, I realized I forgot to mention that I SOLD MY CAR!

The girl who first expressed a strong interest dropped out a few days later. So I rushed out an ad in the newspaper and on Craig's List. As I was putting the "For Sale" sign up in my car window, my neighbor Neil walked by. I joked that he should buy my car, and he actually stopped for a minute to look at it. He said, "Yeah, this could work."

We were leaving for San Francisco just then, so I told him to think about it for a few days. He was already pretty excited. When we returned, he test drove it and (halfway through the drive) said he would take it for the list price of $13,500.

Yeah, yeah, some people have emotional attachments to their cars. I loved my car, but I can't say I loved the idea of dragging it cross-country, paying the gas to do so, or hanging onto it just to watch its value continue deteriorating. Plus, I probably would have only gotten $10,000 or so for trade-in value, so this is like making money. Most importantly, it gives us a big fat financial cushion for our move. So yeeha.

I suppose I should mention the great time we had in San Francisco, where we took our last California vacation. We took Jonas and let him run wild and free at the beach and in the massive SF dog park. We also did a lot of aimless driving around neighborhoods and stopped in some wonderful little restaurants. My personal favorite was a little French place called Baker Street Bistro, where we sat under a heater on the chilly patio, eating lamb stew and warm goat cheese salad. But "The Carnalicious" pizza at Giorgio's was pretty incredible, too.

Mmm, I'm hungry.

No comments: