Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Update from Bulldog country

Dateline: Athens, Ga. Walker Pub & Coffee

Well, my two days of interviews for the student newspaper adviser position at the University of Georgia are done, and I'd say it went pretty well. The students were a tough bunch to win over, and they tossed out some great questions about how I would help them and the paper.

The big thing that struck me is the amazing building that houses The Red and Black. It's a huge, new site built just for the independent paper. Between that and their abundance of full-time positions, it's obvious the paper is doing pretty well financially.

It sounds like I won't hear back from them for two weeks or so. Another candidate is coming out soon, although it hasn't been scheduled. So it was good getting in early and making a strong impression. I'm leaving feeling that this would be a wonderful opportunity for me and a place where Karen and I would be happy to settle down for a while. Obviously, the college atmosphere is great, and the accents aren't too indecipherable.

Now I head back to Atlanta for a lengthy sojourn back to California. I picked up a new GBA game, Rebelstar, to help pass the time. If you have some hefty flying time coming up, I recommend the game as a good hour-killer.

As excited as I am about getting back home, I have to say it's daunting to think of all the work ahead of us in the coming days. Of course, I'll keep you all posted.

No comments: