Saturday, October 15, 2005

It was the right decision. Right?

Well, I called the Virginia paper Friday and told them to take me out of the running for news editor. They were asking me to fly back out for a second round of interviews (I was one of two finalists), but I just wasn't excited about the job.

It would be a late shift, coordinating wire content and tweaking headlines. That's the kind of job where you show up for your first day at work, turn around, and you've been there 20 years.

I felt a little bad because they've been so great about keeping me in the running, and it is a great paper, but I'd rather tell them now than after I fly back out, interview again and then get offered the position.

In related news, the interview with the Athens, Ga., student paper publisher went well. Sounds like I'll be flying out there soon, although I doubt I'll beat the clock and get the job before we move. Oh well.

Otherwise, we're just wrapping everything up and getting ready to move. It's going to be a crazy few weeks, but we're both really excited about picking up and starting over. And I'm pretty motivated about the job hunt now that I've already been a finalist for two. It's not off to a bad start.

OK, it's 8:41 a.m. and I'm unemployed, so I've got to go get drinking. Take care.

No comments: