Tuesday, April 18, 2006

But shouldn't Brendan dye his hair black?



I'm generally not a big fan of collaborations, be they musical, literary or otherwise. With music, it seems like a collaboration yields muddled fruit -- two singers from very different genres creating an ego-driven product that doesn't appeal to fans of either.

But enough negativity, because there's a collaboration afoot that just about makes me clap my hands fast-like and giggle.

Brendan Benson, a geeky but talented singer/songrwriter, is working with Jack White of White Stripes fame on an album coming out in May. The band is called The Raconteurs, and the album is Broken Boy Soldiers.

I know I should reserve jugdment until I at least hear the single, but I have grounds for optimism. First, I'm just glad they're calling it a band. Not, you know, "Brendan Benson vs. Jack White" or "Jack White, with Brendan Benson and the Gold Toof Mafia" or something.

So has anyone actually heard these guys yet? I could probably poke around for a clip, but I'm lazy. I'll just cuddle with my optimism and hope for the best.

1 comment:

Christian said...

They did a private live recording session for XM Radio, and the first single, "Steady as She Goes" is in constant rotation on a lot of the channels.

It's okay. Catchy, with a very retro feel. I thought it was a little bit repetitive, and the "hook" was a little bit cheesy -- it's obviously just a dumb rock song and not as artistic or creative as you'd expect from either Jack White or Brendan Benson.