Monday, April 17, 2006

Unquestionably sound theories



Frequent commenter and beloved Cafe Asteria treasure Drea has floated a perfectly reasonable response to my previous question: Why do men prefer male singers, while women like to listen to women?

"... I really think the reason most people prefer the same gender is that they can sing along easily to their songs."

Elegantly simple and logical. Maybe that's why I like Concrete Blonde. But...I really like Portishead, largely for the same reason I like Radiohead...they can hit notes that are beyond the capabilities of myself and most dolphins.

Thoughts?

Oh, and I want to take this opportunity to air one of my musical pet peeves: Covers where the gender of the subject is changed to suit the gender of the singer. (Tiffany's "I Saw Him Standing There," etc.) Wait, did I just reference Tiffany? And would I really want They Might Be Giants singing "Maybe I know that he's been cheatin?"

Oh well. Create a bulletproof theory, dismiss criticisms of said theory, then conveniently forget you ever floated the theory. ("The only good sci-fi movies involve aliens that swarm like insects," etc.) It's just what I do.

No comments: