Monday, April 24, 2006

The immortal battle between monkey and fart can

It's always hard to pick a favorite from the great minds that make up the Cafe Asteria patronage, but I'm going to have to say that the winner of the first-ever Cafe Asteria Camera Phone contest is....DALE!

Here again is his entry:



Who among us has something stranger than fart-sound-making putty? Not me.

So what does Dale get as his prize? As I promised, or at least vaguely hinted, he gets a new nickname! Oooh, feel that electric tingle? That's excitement.

From now on, he shall be known to all as:

Dale the Portably Flatulant

This immediately and comprehensively replaces Dale's longstanding nickames of "shirtless mulch shoveler" and "the Irish Pirate." Funny thing about nicknames, while I'm here. Long ago, Dale and I were in high school chemistry together. Someone discovered that the edge of a lab table could be removed. Underneath, there was a message that said, "I'd give me life for you." Somehow, that almost immediately translated into Dale being called the Irish Pirate. It just goes to show how the most seemingly disposable moment can shape your identity.

Comment topic of the day: What's your nickname? Where did it come from? I'm willing to bet that most can be traced back to some pretty inane little incidents.

Thanks to everyone who entered, and be sure to check back often for my next contest. You might end up being as big a winner as Dale!

2 comments:

Griner said...

Eighth grade, Toj. "Toe head" was the insult of choice when I moved back to Alabama from D.C. in eighth grade. I used it once on you in passing, and it stuck with some miraculous, gorilla-glue-like potency.

As for "Toj," which has always been my preferred form of Toe Head, that was also a D.C. insult, shortened from Toe Jam. I think you really transcended all the original meanings and made it your own.

Big props for the "sic," too.

I thought it was interesting that in my youth I was called by my first name, then called "Griner" from ages 10-14 in D.C., then called by my first name in high school, then called Griner through college (and the rest of my life). It would help in my new office, where I'm also one of three guys with my name -- within about 10 feet of my cube.

Griner said...

Isn't "skipper" just another name for the captain? Oh, the humanity!