Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Wait, there are other blogs out there?!

After recently re-posting my original blog entry, I feel justified in breaking one of the initial rules I established. Namely, I said I wouldn't link to a bunch of other blogs. I think I've been pretty good about this, and I don't plan to make it a regularity.

BUT, I wanted to pass along some sites that help me get through slow days while still motivating me in my new profession. While some of these are advertising-oriented, I'm only listing the ones that I think each of you will enjoy:

AdFreak - While part of the much more staid Ad Week, AdFreak is the most consistently updated and fun advertising blog I visit. It's got a quirky voice and avoids industry politics. Plus, if it weren't for them, I'd never find gems like this little guy.

AdHunt - This one's so much fun, I think I breezed through all the available archives in just a few visits. It's an international collection of whacky ads, some risque and some just plan bizarro. Possibly not safe for work, if you work for a bunch of prudes.

Minor Tweaks - I don't really read this blog, but AdFreak recently linked to a section where they e-mail corporations with fake compliments. Some of the letters and responses made me titter, I must say. Oh, and there was this classic post about a Duke of Hazzard.

Gawker - I don't care a tinker's cuss for New York gossip, so I'm not sure why I like this blog. But I do. Maybe it's because they seem to care so intensely about something so vastly unimportant. It reminds me of those people who protested for Fiona Apple. I mean, who cares that much? Oh....wait...it's someone from Columbia, MO. But I digress. Oh, and I should note Gawker uses some pretty rough language, in case you're sensitive about such things.

Romenesko - If nothing else, this is one aspect of my journalistic life I still cling to. Most of you who aren't already reading this blog will probably find little interest in the goings-on of newspapers, but if it weren't for this blog, I'd never learn about things like the obscenity in a New York Times Crossword. (Don't worry, that one's only unsafe for work if you're working in the year 1912.)

Hope this helps pass some time for you all.

3 comments:

Christian said...

If those "Free Fiona" people were better with the Internet, they could have heard the leaked album in early 2004 along with the rest of us. =)

Griner said...

Maybe they would have toned down the protest if they'd realized that the two songs initially leaked were the only two good songs on the album.

vo0do0chile said...

this http://baghdadgirl.blogspot.com/
is a personal favorite blog. Go back and read some of the earlier posts (starting at the bottom of the page and working up will suffice, but you're welcome to go back further). You have to read some of thw written posts and look at the kitties to get the whole picture.