Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Shocking confession: I like guys.

As I was burning ... err ... tracking down original versioins of some CDs to loan to a friend, I stumbled across something that's concerned me off and on for a few years now. It doesn't concern me to the level of "Is shaving once a week too little or too much?" But, you know, it's in the back of my mind.

Anyway.

I seem to overwhelmingly prefer guy singers. Most fellas seem to, as well. (With one recently noted and glaring exception.) And most of the women I know seem to prefer female vocalists. The permutation of this is that women seem more likely to like male singers than the other way around. Plus, is there a female equivalent of Coldplay or John Mayer? (Meaning, is there a woman that guys would like, but women would consider poorly representative of their gender?)

So back to the question at hand: Do men prefer to listen to men, and women to women? If so, what does that say about us?

OK, discuss.

2 comments:

Christian said...

I've been listening to a lot of indie rock lately, and the bands I like are pretty much split straight down the middle between guy singers (Irving, Supersystem, Very Secretary) and girl singers (Calamine, Metric, Tilly and the Wall).

As far as more mainstream bands go, I definitely prefer the ones with male singers for some reason. It seems like with most "popular" bands, guys do rock while girls do pop or electronic stuff.

Griner said...

The women I like (but really only when they come up on shuffle in my ipod):
Beth Orton
Portishead
Bjork ( I really don't like her, but for some reason I love when she pops up once in a while...weird)
Snakewater Conspiracy
The Go-Go's. (sadly true)
Concrete Blonde

The women I could generally do without:
Isabelle (formerly) from Belle and Sebastian
Le Tigre
Indigo Girls (cause, you know, I have some trace of manliness left somewhere)
Kelly Clarkson (sorry, fish in a barrel)
Bjork


OK, so the guys have weighed in... ladies?