Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Here's....some stuff.

A few fun happenings from the past 24 hours:

1. I trained in the bookstore and music department at Barnes and Noble, where I've always just worked in the cafe. The managers are apparently planning to make me some kind of global fill-in monkey. It was surprisingly fun.

2. I learned that people can get quite angry when you tell them they can't buy the new Outkast album until 9 a.m. the next morning. (But don't worry, folks, Idlewild's out today! You don't have to resort to violence!)

3. A major client bought a radio ad I wrote, and it'll be likely be running on rock and pop radio stations in the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted. For now, it includes a blatant sex reference, but we'll see how long that'll survive.

4. My American Idol billboard continues to get strange amounts of attention, today being mentioned on People magazine's Web site. If any of you actually watch the show, be sure to let me know if they include the billboard in the talent-hunting montage.

5. My dreams of gourmet coffee in the workplace likely will be dashed on the rocks soon. The execs asked employees to vote on whether they'd rather have the good coffee or keep getting weekly doughnuts and meat muffins. I boycotted the vote, saying it pits coffee drinkers against eaters. Most coffee drinkers I know also eat. I'll let you know how that gets resolved.

6. I pussed out of volunteering for the Stoke the Fire BBQ festival at Sloss Furnaces this weekend. I feel slightly conflicted, but here's the deal: I agreed months ago to work the beer tent for four hours on Saturday. They apparently forgot about me until I contacted them the other day. So they assigned me to "security." When I asked what I would be doing, the coordinator said (and I quote) "Just walking around." I said I would have to pass. Am I a bad person? You don't even get a free plate of food. Oh well. I really do want to volunteer and help folks out, but I just can't see that being a justifiable use of my day.

1 comment:

Griner said...

Nope. Democracy in the workplace is an executive copout. It turns people against each other and gives them only themselves to blame.