Thursday, August 24, 2006

Maybe it's just history the way Bush remembers it.

Can't remember if I've mentioned it here, but I've been loving Slate's graphic adaptation of the 9/11 Report. The artists have walked a fine line of showing multiple sides of a complicated issue while still interjecting occasional humor, blame and drama.

But I don't get one panel from today's installment:



The text makes perfect sense. But the picture...what year is it again? In 1997, U.S. officials are worried about Bin Ladin's growing power...in Iraq? And they're worried about him hitting U.S. interests...in Iraq? And what are all those U.S. and British flags doing in Iraq? I thought for a second they represented the No-Fly Zone, but there's a U.S. flag right in the middle of the country. The guy looking at the map also is talking about Bin Ladin seeking nuclear weapons...in Iraq? We all know there's slim pickins on nukes there.

I'm probably just misreading this, or it's a bizarre error. Anybody have a theory? Or am I just crazy?

1 comment:

Greg said...

No, I think you're right. I don't think they meant to have a map of Iraq there. Maybe Afghanistan? But, yeah, that doesn't make much sense.